Saturday, November 9, 2013

Tales of my Social Media Fast

About a week ago I returned from a 5 day long Social Media fast. I decided to turn off the computer, delete the apps from my phone, and totally unplug from Facebook, InstaGram, Vine, Twitter, and all the rest. It was not an easy thing to do, over the past several years I've built the habit of checking all of those outlets almost obsessively, to the point that I would frequently get comments like, "wow you're always on Facebook", or my wife and I would oft times sit on the couch both too engrossed in "being social" to actually socialize with each other. Then sitting in the living room of my mentor as he read a slam poem about Social Media and its effect on our modern lives, I realized that I was guilty of showing my son my face lit by that tiny screen more than lit with a smile at his youth and exuberance.

I knew that it was time to make a change, that I needed to step back, so upon the suggestion of that same mentor I embarked on this 5 day journey.

At first, I felt lonely, cut-off from the world and lost, like I didn't know what was happening in life. I struggled with not typing "www.facebook.com" in the address bar of my browser at work. I would pick up my phone, intending to check out all the newest tweets, and realize that I wasn't doing that this week. It slowly dawned on me that in my effort to be "social" I was only substituting digital socialization for real interaction.

Day 2 & 3 it got progressively easier to not check my social media outlets, and the feeling of being alone in the darkness began to recede, and instead of focusing on what I was not able to do, I found myself with more time. More time to talk to others, to build new relationships, and even establish some new ones. I found that by focusing on not being socially connected at all times, I was able to connect more deeply with those that I socialize with.

Day 4 & 5 with my eyes open, I started to notice those around me and their addictions to the virtual world. I noticed that like babies they couldn't go very long without a suckle on the virtual teat. I noticed the couples sitting at lunch, not talking to each other but both feverishly punching away on tiny buttons on a device to connect with others, all the while missing the connection right in front of them. I noticed the parents tripping over there children as they pounded out a text. The co-workers out to dinner that barely said three words to each other, but seemed to be having a delightful time with their iPads.

They say that America is where dreams are made, this used to mean that you could come here, work hard, grow an amazing family, have some great friends and live a good life. Today it seems to mean owning the newest device from Apple and having the most friends on Facebook. For me stepping back for a few days and really examining what part of my life Social Media occupies, and being able to lift my eyes from my phone screen to actually look at the world around me was an incredible experience. While I am now back on Social media, you will find my posts more infrequent, my responses not as quick, and when I'm with my family at home, that special time I have to spend with my lovely wife and incredible son, you'll probably find my phone turned off, in another room.

I want my son to be able to describe my face, not the back of my phone. I want my wife to remember the sweetness that I whisper to her, not that I post on her wall. I want my friends to remember my vibrant laugh and loyal nature, not how many mayorships I have on 4Square.

I encourage all of you, take the time out of your life, take a fast from Social Media, take some time out t out to build your relationships with your non-virtual "friends", take a moment to enjoy the things that you really "like", and "share" time with loved ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment